1 cup fine cornmeal
½ teaspoon table salt
1 cup sliced okras
3 cups water
1 large bowl
1 large spoon
1 regular sized oven and microwave proof bowl (I used a round Pyrex bowl)
Oven mitts or kitchen towels
1. Butter the Pyrex bowl generously.
2. Add the cornmeal, salt and okra to the large bowl and toss to mix.
3. Pour in the water and stir to mix.
4. Pour the mixture into the buttered dish and transfer to the microwave. Set to cook for 6 minutes.
5. At the end of the 6 minutes, remove the bowl from the microwave – use the oven mitts or kitchen towels to hold the bowl, as it will be hot. Place the bowl on the counter and give the mixture a stir to mix. Place the bowl back into the microwave and set it to cook for 4 minutes.
6. Remove the bowl from the microwave, add a pat of butter and leave it on your counter top for at least 15 minutes to firm up before serving. Of course, if you like your Cou-Cou soft, serve immediately.
Breadfruit Cou Cou
4 ozs salt meat
2 teaspoons (or less) salt
1 bunch herbs
2 cups stock
1 onion (finely chopped)
2 tablespoons of margarine
Cut breadfruit into slices and boil with salt and meat, herbs and onion in water, just covering the fruit.
When soft take from the heat and crush with a potato masher then with a heavy wooden spatula to makle quite smooth. Adding stock as necessary. Stir in some margarine and when smooth, place in a dish and spread with the remainder margarine.
Provided with the compliments of your friends at Glory Tours. The #1 Provider of Sightseeing Tours in Barbados http://glorytours.org/
Took 'em a while ...
4 weeks ago