Fish cakes and bakes,
Every Bajan does meck.
So when it's time to celebrate
It's Soca fish cakes and bakes
Bajan Fish Cakes
¼ lb. salt fish
¾ cup all- purpose flour
½ tsp. baking powder
1/3 tsp. salt
¾ cup salt fish broth
1tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. crushed garlic
¼ tsp thyme
1 tsp fresh hot pepper, finely chopped
1 cup onion, finely chopped
1 ½ tbsp scallions, finely chopped
oil for frying
1. Rinse the salt fish and tear into smaller pieces. Boil in plenty of water for about 20 minutes. Discard water and add fresh water and boil again for another 20 minutes. Let it cool in the water and save the water.
2. Remove the salt fish and drain in a metal drainer and wait for it to cool down. Once cool to the touch, tear the pieces into smaller little tiny pieces and set it aside. If you hold it between your fingers it separates itself.
3. In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt, black pepper, hot pepper, onion, thyme, scallion and garlic. Add the broth and whisk. The mixture should look like pancake batter. Then add the drained salt fish and whisk again. If the batter seems too thick just add a bit more of the salt fish broth and whisk. If you put too much broth add a bit of flour - just a bit.
4. Heat the oil in a heavy bottom skillet or buck pot.
5. Spoon the batter by the spoonful into hot oil. The salt fish cakes should be fried over medium-high heat turning only once. They should be golden on both sides. Drain on paper towels before serving.
4 tbsp honey
1 tbsp hot pepper sauce
6-8 tbsp ketchup
1. Mix all ingredients together.
2. Add more pepper or honey as desired
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ tsp cinnamon, spice, nutmeg
1 tsp salt
½ cup sugar
¾ cup water or milk
Oil for frying
1. Mix all dry ingredients together
2. Add liquid ingredients to dropping consistency, stir well
3. Heat oil and fry one. Taste and adjust taste as necessary. Adding more sugar, spice or liquid as needed.
4. Fry remaining bakes until golden brown.
Provided with the compliments of your friends at Glory Tours. The #1 Provider of Sightseeing Tours in Barbados http://glorytours.org/